Frequently Asked Questions
What is a CSA?
A CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) is a locally based economic model of agriculture and food distribution that typically allows city residents to have direct access to high quality, fresh produce grown locally by regional farmers. CSA members pay at the onset of the growing season for a share of the anticipated harvest; once harvesting begins, they periodically receive shares of produce. Thus, growers and consumers share the risks and benefits of food production.
What if I can’t pick up my share?
Members are responsible for picking up their share each week. Can't make it? Ask a friend to pick it up for you, maybe even let them keep a head of lettuce as a thank you (or not, your choice).
Half share members are also welcome to swap pick-up weeks with other half share members. You can communicate with other members via our Google forum HERE and our Facebook page HERE. When you pick up the share, just let the volunteer know the name of the person who should be picking up that day.
What do you do with any food left over at the end of a shift?
We donate all leftover food to Los Sures, a community-based, non-profit organization that has served as an integral part in rebuilding the South Side of Williamsburg, Brooklyn since 1972. The organization provides a multitude of much-needed services, including a senior center and a food pantry.
How can I get more involved?
This question makes our hearts flutter. Check out information about the core group HERE.
I don’t like radishes. Can I swap for another vegetable this week?
Unfortunately it is too complicated and uneconomical for the farmer to accommodate special requests. Plus, variety is the spice of life!
If you really don't like radishes you are welcome to utilize our swap box or choose not to take them. We donate any food left over at the end of each shift.
What if I can’t afford to pay the full amount?
Some subsidized shares are available for those that would like to be part of the CSA but cannot afford to without assistance. We follow New York State SNAP guidelines. Please email us at email@example.com to learn more about these options.
The sign-up system looks different this year. How do I sign up?
1. Go to http://heartyrootsbrooklyn.csaware.com/store/
2. You must first select a vegetable share (look for the EWCSA Logo):
3. Choose your payment plan:
- One payment now
- Two payments (one now, and one in 30 days)
4. If you would like to purchase a fruit or egg share, select Continue Shopping. You will then be taken to a page where you can select add-ons.
5. If you have selected an A or B half veggie share, your half fruit and egg share will automatically be applied to that pick-up pattern. If you have selected a full veggie share but want only a half fruit or egg share, you will be randomly selected to receive those on either an A week schedule or B week schedule. If you have a preference, simply place your order and then email us and we will work to accomodate.
5. Before payment, you will need to create an account with CSAWare. It's easy!