I adapted Smitten Kitchen's Perfect Blueberry Muffin recipe for all of the sour cherries I had left after devouring my blueberries in a single sitting. This worked quite well, I'm sure they are delicious with the blueberries too!
- 5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces or 100 grams) sugar
- Finely grated zest from 1/2 a lemon
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea or table salt
- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cherries, pitted. Cut Large cherries in half or quarters
- 1.5 tablespoons turbinado (sugar in the raw) sugar
Heat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Melt butter in the bottom of a large bowl and whisk in sugar, zest, yogurt and egg until smooth. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda and salt until fully combined, then lightly fold in flour and cherries. Divide between prepared muffin cups and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon turbinado sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick runs dry. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then the rest of the way on a rack.